Keep your bones healthy – What is good for your bones?
Keep your bones healthy ; Healthy and proper nutrition is important for bone structure as well as for the prevention of many health problems. In particular, it is necessary to consume foods rich in calcium, magnesium, potassium, vitamin D, omega-3 in order to prevent bone fractures, usually bone loss, and to strengthen bone.
What is good for your bones?
Osteoporosis- a bone disorder
Our body gets a definite shape and structure due to a framework of bones. Can you imagine a human body without bones? It would be nothing but a huge mass of tissues. Our bones are under constant procedure of repairing and reconstructing. As we grow older the risk of osteoporosis increases. This is a common disorder of bones that is characterized by fragile bones that happens to be developed due to loss of calcium from the bones. Women are at high risk of osteoporosis then men. According to a research it has been proved that women should take care of the bones from the teenage in order to reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
Prevention of osteoporosis
It is better to prevent the diseases rather than treating them. Osteoporosis can be prevented by strengthening our bones. They are mainly made up of calcium hence increase calcium intake along with other essential nutrients such as vitamin D, C and k and minerals such as magnesium and boron. So try to get these vital nutrients in adequate amount from your diet or you can also start taking supplements of these nutrients. Post menopausal women are at high risk of developing osteoporosis and hence should consume enough calcium rich food to fulfill the requirement.
A healthy diet for healthy bones
It is better including some healthy food products in the diet so that preventing bone disease and keeping them healthy becomes interesting. You can use following food products for healthy bones
- Drink milk instead of caffeinated beverages. It provides abundant of calcium. This is the yummy way to get benefitted with the essential mineral.
- Vitamin D is the important for the absorption of calcium. Yogurt is power packed with calcium and vitamin D. Have a cup of yogurt to get the adequate amount of both the nutrients for healthy bones.
- Cheese especially cheddar cheese could be of great helps in getting more than 30% of the daily need of calcium. So you can say cheese for healthy bones.
- Sardines are packed with calcium and vitamin D to fulfill your daily requirement. Salmon and tuna are also good sources of vitamin D.
- Eggs with yolks provide vitamin D. Eat the whole egg with yolk as the vitamin is present in the yolk.
- If you are allergic to dairy products then spinach could help you out. A cup of cooked spinach helps you to get 25% of your daily calcium need and also fibers, iron and other vitamins.
A healthy diet providing adequate amount of calcium and vitamin D, regular exercise and limited or no consumption of alcohol led to healthy bones.
Healthy nails reflects healthy you
Simple tips to keep nails away from fungus
Nails are the most neglected part of the body. Finger nails do get our attention but toenails crave for our attention and get nothing in return. But we should treat them equally. Infection especially fungal infection can make the nails worse if left untreated or ignored. Thus one should not let it go if you spot out the symptoms such as discolored nails, black colored nails or pus coming out of the nail making it painful. Get to see a doctor immediately and treat the infection with anti fungal medications. You can simply implement the tips given below:
- Wash and dry your feet daily. It will help to get rid of the dead skin cells and dirt. Wash the place between the fingers as this is the place for fungus to grow.
- Soak your feet in lukewarm water instead of hot water.
- Always dab some anti fungal powder before wearing your shoes. This will help to prevent fungal infection that arises due to excessive sweat.
- Apply moisturizer to your feet every night to keep them free of cracks. This will helps to prevent the entry of fungus through these cracks.
- Do not share towels or any other accessories with others.
Factors contributing in nail infection
You must be thinking about the risk factors or the triggers that worsen or initiate the fungal infection of the nails. Following are the risk factors:
- If you have Athlete’s foot.
- If you have suffered from nail fungal infection in the past.
- Injury to fingernail or toenail.
- If you are using artificial nails that causes infection.
- If you have sweating feet that causes moist environment beneficial for the growth of fungus.
- If you wear tight footwear thus not allowing the nails to breath.
- If you have medical problems such as diabetes, circulatory disorders or if you have weak immune system.
Keep nail fungal infection away
Fungal infection can become worse enough to take away your sleep. It is better to prevent them and if you become the victim then treat the infection as early as possible. You can use following ideas to keep fingernails away from the risk of fungal infection.
- Nail hardeners contains chemical that may harm your nails.
- Nail polish may make your nails to stay wet for longer and thus increases the risk of infection.
- Apply lighter shades of nail polish so that nails will get enough of sunlight.
- Do not put artificial nails over the original as the chemicals and glue used in the artificial nails might increases the risk of fungal infection.
- Keep looking for any unhealthy changes in nails such as pus or change in the color of nails.
Food allergy: what to eat and what to avoid
I am amazed how food stuff can create mess
I was wondering about the rash around my mouth as I was waiting for my turn to meet doctor at his dispensary. I had been fine till getting the rash and was totally confused while finding the cause behind it. The receptionist called my name and the chain of thoughts that was running in my mind broke off. After discussing the entire situation my doctor told me that the rash has developed because I am allergic to peanut butter. I was shocked. How delicious it tastes but how messy it can be on your face. My doctor sensed my anxiety and told me about the food allergies that are common and are similar to other forms of allergies. He told me to watch over the amount of peanut butter while having it again and to track the symptoms.
How do I keep my bones healthy?
How do I keep my bones healthy? I came home quite upset with the diagnosis of my rash near the mouth. I thought why not to search on the net for some more information about food allergy? This will help me to get to know more about food allergy. While browsing through the information provided over the site I came to know that food allergies often shows the symptoms after few hours or few days of consumption of the food product which is susceptible to cause allergy. It means I may not show up the symptoms immediately and hence I need to watch whatever I eat. The amounts of food you are consuming also determine the occurrence of allergic symptoms. Well in my case, one teaspoon of peanut butter is agreeable but if I try to have more than that I would surely end up having rash or other symptoms.
My conclusion after research
I also came to know that food allergic symptoms not only includes skin rash but one can also develop nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, diarrhea, swelling of lips and mouth. The added preservative in the food also make our body tom refuse to cope up with it. By natural mechanism our body will definitely fight against it as recognizing it as a foreign substance. This is also one of the reasons of food allergies. Mostly people are allergic to dairy products, shellfish, soy, gluten, peanuts and egg whites. After my little research I decided to cut off the processed food and decided to go for natural food. I even started to keep record of symptoms that occurs when I eat any food products to minimize food allergy symptoms.
GERD: managing the symptoms and living with them
How GERD makes life complicated
A burning sensation in the chest and bitter taste in mouth sounds familiar to most of us. Gastroesophageal reflux disorder or GERD is the common name for the disorder. Heartburn is the popular name for GERD but in actual it is one of the symptoms that characterize this disorder. Sever heartburn causes various complications and hence need to be treated at the earliest. The most common symptom is the burning sensation in the chest that often followed by a night meal. The partially digested food along with stomach acid comes back to the throat and leaving a bitter taste in the mouth. Chest pain is also experienced by the sufferer. In severe cases of GERD, sore throat and swollen vocal cord may also occur.
Causes of GERD
The causes of GERD may vary from person to person. But the most common one include life style habits such as drinking and smoking. Pregnancy also causes GERD symptoms as the female body undergoes various hormonal changes during pregnancy. Obesity is also the cause. Over production of acid by stomach also causes GERD. Simple symptoms of this digestive disorder can transform into complications if not treated properly. Ulcer is the well known complication of GERD. Strictures are the scaring after ulcer healing. This can create problem if the scaring becomes too thick to restrict the passage of food. Barrett’s esophagus is one of the complications of GERD that might become cancerous causing cancer of esophagus.
Control GERD symptoms for better life
Managing the symptoms of GERD is quite simpler and you can master these practices while putting little efforts. Millions of people suffering from GERD and heartburn and more than 90% cases occur due to drastic changes in the lifestyle. So simply diverting your lifestyle to the right track you can succeed in managing the GERD and the also prevents complications associated with it.
- GERD symptoms heartburn mainly occurs after a night’s meal. Look after your portion of meal especially at night to enhance digestion and prevent the further problems.
- Avoid having acidic foods especially those who brings up the symptoms. It includes caffeinated drinks, chocolates and acidic fruits like oranges increase the symptoms causing discomfort. Avoid these food products especially before going to bed.
- Stay healthy with regular exercise and control your weight. Obesity is also one of the reasons why the stomach acid comes to the throat causing burning sensation.
Our previous article Twin Baby Care - The Best Practices in the title Having Twin Baby ve twin baby care information is provided..
Hello, I’m Dorothy. I love writing and researching articles. Reading books about baby health, care and pregnancy is my favorite. I will be sharing delicious and healthy information on food and baby food during pregnancy.