Can you eat calamari when pregnant?
Calamari and healthy pregnancy diet, you may not have loved it before but now you want to eat it. Why is that? Maybe you are craving. I drank a glass of pickle juice when I was pregnant and I was vomiting all day but eating calamari is different. Although we think calamari is seafood and seafood is healthy, we should avoid some to eat it when pregnant because of its mercury content. But calamari pregnant? Can you eat calamari when pregnant?
Pregnancy is a wonderful gift for us and we want the best for this gift. Nutrition is very important for our baby’s health and growth during pregnancy and after birth. That’s why we try to eat even foods that we don’t like or have not eaten before because they are healthy. We know that seafood is very healthy, but is it also when we are pregnant? In today’s article, we will answer the question can pregnant women eat deep fried calamari and if they can how to cook it ..
Table of Contents
Can You Eat Calamari When Pregnant?
Shellfish and crustaceans, lots of questions about that. Can You Eat Calamari When Pregnant? The answer is YES, you can eat calamari while pregnant. All you have to do is follow some consumption rules that we will explain to you right afterwards. These instructions are important, take the time to read them so you don’t make mistakes.
Relevant post >> Can you eat deviled eggs while pregnant?
How Do You Consume Calamari While Pregnant?
- Thoroughly clean the calamari and cook well.
- Check the expiration date, the freshness of the product and the hygiene of the store before buying calamari.
- If you are allergic to calamari, stay away from it during pregnancy. Before you start consuming seafood, it is important to speak to your doctor as he can tell you if you need it in your diet during pregnancy.
- Eating squid is safe during pregnancy if eaten in moderation. Buy in a hygienic place and cook thoroughly. Make the dish at home to avoid bacteria or related side effects. Look for delicious calamari recipes and make them a part of your pregnancy diet.
How to Cook Calamari For a pregnant?
To get the most out of this nutritious seafood, here are some guidelines to follow when eating squid while pregnant:
- Avoid to eat fried calamari. Deep frying decreases nutritional value and adds unhealthy saturated fats that contribute to excessive weight gain.
- Eat boiled or sauteed calamari to keep the nutrients intact and to protect your digestive system.
- Make calamari at home using fresh vegetables and all the ingredients that can make the dish delicious for you.
- Sauté calamari in green salads makes a delicious snack.
- Usually, crustaceans and shellfish are limited to two times a week. To eat seafood, it must be fully cooked. So in order to eat boiled squid when you are pregnant, it must be BOILED. Here is the only condition that must be met, not raw seafood
- It is always better to buy fresh seafood and cook it yourself and keep it in a clean refrigerator when needed. Do not buy shellfish that are already cooked and put up for sale.
- If you follow these rules, you have almost no risk of contracting listeriosis. It is a disease that is spread through bacteria in meat, fish, seafood, and cheese. It will only be killed if the food is cooked at 70 ° C or higher. So, of course, all crustaceans and shellfish can eat, but in small portions so as not to take in too much mercury.
The consumption of cooked squid or many types of squid dishes during pregnancy provides health benefits such as vitamins, trace elements, … .. The most important one is iodine, which plays a very important role in the functioning of the mother’s thyroid and the correct development of the baby’s brain. Iodine is found in well-cooked shellfish, clams, fish, dairy products, and eggs.
If you want to know a little more about women’s diet during pregnancy.
Yes, you can safely eat boiled whole squid while you are pregnant. There are a lot of cooking methods, make sure that it is well cooked properly, always buy the products fresh if possible and cook them yourself.
Boiled Calamari Recipe
- 500 g squid (cleaned and chopped into rings)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of grape vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed or grated)
- 1 small red onion (chopped in half a moon shape)
- 12-15 large black olives (if you remove the seeds and cut them in half, it would be fine.)
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1 red pepper (if you can find a bell pepper, it would be better – cut it into thin slices)
- 1 handful of fresh parsley leaves
- 1 handful of basil
- Black pepper
- On one side, prepare the ice water mixture.
- In a deep saucepan, boil the squid in boiling water for about 2-3 minutes until the color turns opaque and put on a colander. Immerse yourself in ice water mixture and cool.
- Drain the water with the help of a colander.
- In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Take squid, onion, olives, tomatoes, red peppers, parsley, and basil in a large salad bowl.
- Add the sauce you have prepared and mix gently.
pregnant Calamari F.A.Q
Hello, I’m Dorothy. I love writing and researching articles. Reading books about baby health, care and pregnancy is my favorite. I will be sharing delicious and healthy information on food and baby food during pregnancy.
The information is very informative on what can be eaten and how to prepare it safely by cooking it to a certain degree. You also included a recipe with details on preparation, and why you should avoid it fried!
Good information in this article!
I plan on having baby number 2 is a future and I’m an avid seafood lover so this is great information for someone like me. I enjoy trying out new recipes especially when I’m pregnant.